Mission: To foster, implement and participate in providing opportunities for cultural and scientific experiences for the community of Parker
Parker Arts Lecture Series Committee
The intent of the Parker Arts Lectures series is to increase the understanding of how arts, science and technology affect current and future issues facing our community and provide the opportunity to learn and discuss a variety of trending topics. Lectures take place at The Schoolhouse (19650 E. Mainstreet).
- Recommend lecture topics.
- Identify, recruit and host lecturers.
- Make welcoming remarks before each lecture.
- The committee is comprised of Commissioners, citizen volunteers, and Cultural staff.
Art in Public Places Committee
Art in Public Places serves to enrich, stimulate, and enhance the aesthetic experience in Parker. Public art also contributes to the Town’s economic draw and is an ongoing educational tool in the community. The Art in Public Places Committee makes recommendations to the Commission and the Town Council on public art projects, including:
- Facilitating the selection and placement of public art, including serving on art selection panels as needed and making recommendations on locating, moving, and deaccessioning public art.
- Providing input on budgetary aspects of selection of new art pieces and maintenance of existing pieces.
- The committee is comprised of Commissioners, citizen volunteers, local artists, and Cultural staff.
The Historical Committee of the Cultural and Scientific Commission seeks to preserve, protect and make accessible the history and heritage of the Parker area. It endeavors to foster collaboration among existing entities, including Douglas County Libraries and the Parker Area Historical Society, promote digitization of historical information, and develop community interest in area history. Areas of focus include written and oral history as well as archeological artifacts and buildings. Furthermore, the committee supports and encourages historical education, events and the centralization of information to be made freely available to the citizens of Parker.
- Plan and lead the historic walks around downtown Parker in the summer months.
- The committee is comprised of Commissioners, Parker Area Historical Society members and Cultural
Honey Festival Committee
Parker Arts’ annual Honey Festival is free outdoor community event where families learn about the benefits of the honeybee. Committee responsibilities include:
- Work in conjunction with Education and Outreach staff to plan and implement the Annual Honey Festival.
- Ensure the event will heighten awareness, appreciation and provide educational information and resources regarding the Honey Bee, honey products and bee keeping.
- Recruit and review vendors and educational organizations to participate in the event.
- Obtain educational materials to distribute at the event.
- Staff the Cultural Commission’s booth at the event handing out educational materials and talking to the public about honeybees.
- Emcee the event and introduce speakers.
- Review the event upon its completion to make changes for the next year.
- The committee is comprised of Commissioners, local beekeepers, citizen volunteers, and Cultural staff.
This is a newly formed committee based on plans to present our first science-based outreach event, which is an open-air science fair for the community aimed at engaging elementary school-aged children. The inaugural event will take place at Discovery Park in 2021, and includes live science demonstrations and interactive vendor booths.
- Plan the event’s timing and agenda.
- Day-of staffing and assistance.
- Post-event follow-up and assessment to improve future events.
- The committee is comprised of Commissioners, Council of Arts Science and Culture (CASC) members, and Cultural staff.
Strategic Planning Committee
The Strategic Planning Committee is responsible for participating in the strategic planning process from start to finish. Specifically, they will be assisting with the following:
- Reviewing and approving the Request for Proposal for a strategic consultant
- Reviewing submitted proposals and helping select the Cultural Master Plan consultant
- Providing feedback and direction to the consultant
- Assisting with creating surveys and gathering feedback from the community
- Helping determine cultural mission, vision, values, and goals
- Participating in planning sessions, community charrettes and other meetings
- Providing input on strategic plan drafts
- Helping present draft plans to Town Council
- Ensuring a fair and transparent process
- Advocating and communicating the new strategic plan
- Assisting with implementing the 10-year strategic plan